Sunday, October 30, 2011

Grape Jam!!!

I figured out what to do with all the Grapes from the back yard.....

Jam Jam Jam! 

This is my first time canning Jam all by my self. It was stressful and lots of work. It smelled awesome in the kitchen. I did 7 batches in two days. I had about 40lbs of grapes to use. I think I used most of them. But after the 7th batch I was done. So I did throw away some, well I composted them so not to worry.

If you are in the area- guess what you are getting for Christmas this year!  Grape Jam!

I must say I am very proud of my self!

Here are a few steps that I took:

5lbs of Grapes
 Smash and cook down the grapes- get bottles clean and hot 

 Strain Grapes and collect the juice! 
 Add the sugar and pectin- boil for 1 minute
 Kind of scary because it foams up almost to the top of the pot
 Ladle jam into jars
 Make sure top of jars are clean
 Put lids on and hot water bath! 
 Done!  

No comments: